Gravity and Magnetics
PGS has an extensive library of gravity and magnetics datasets. These datasets can be either qualitatively interpreted to enhance the geological understanding in regions of sparse seismic data coverage (e.g. 2D only) or quantitatively analyzed to help with complex interpretation challenges.
Map-based qualitative interpretation may be used to enhance the understanding of basin architecture and is commonly applied in frontier areas or regions of sparse data coverage. 2D or 3D modeling and inversion for quantitative interpretation, are typically used to address more complex interpretation challenges, such as sub-salt imaging, and it complements seismic interpretation.
PGS routinely acquires high resolution gravity and magnetic data simultaneously with seismic, and has extensive global datasets. Interpretation of gravity and magnetic data is conducted using industry standard Oasis Montaj and XField software packages.
- Corrections, reductions and transforms (Bouguer and terrain correction)
- Filters to enhance subtle features within the data
- Edge detection and lineament / trend extraction
- 2D modeling closely linked with seismic is ideal for testing different interpretation hypotheses
- 3D modeling and inversion for in-depth analysis
Bouguer 2D gravity model generated to corroborate the seismic interpretation