Since 2018, the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) has carried out annual research surveys on and around the Mohns and Knipovich ridges to identify and investigate seafloor massive sulfide (SMS) and manganese crust deposits.
- Understanding the mineral systems and the environments they support
- Guiding exploration activities
- Guiding the development of existing and new technology to detect and characterize mineral deposits
- Guiding the development of technology for the responsible extraction of seafloor minerals
Using a new workflow to condition, analyze, and interpret the released dataset, OFG and PGS are preparing to build a database of conditioned, action-ready data and interpretations for use throughout the exploration, characterization, and development lifecycle.
The NPD data includes:
- Drilling and sampling data
- Shipboard and AUV multibeam echosounder data
- Sidescan sonar, synthetic aperture sonar, and sub-bottom profiler data
- AUV magnetic data
- AUV self-potential data
- Water sampling/geochemical data including pH, ORP, and methane sensors
- Video and photogrammetry
OFG and PGS Experience
OFG and PGS, in partnership, are uniquely positioned to propose sustainable solutions in this area.
Since 2007, OFG has gained unrivaled experience in collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data in seafloor mineral settings. OFG has participated in over 25 exploration cruises targeting SMS deposits, collecting acoustic, electric, magnetic, electromagnetic, and geological data to find and characterize these resources.
PGS is the industry leader in integrated 3D seismic acquisition and imaging. PGS is participating in research consortiums to develop current technology and understand how seismic acquisition can be applied to detect marine minerals more efficiently.
Together PGS and OFG offer the broadest range of marine geophysical data, technology, and services in the energy industry today.
Find Out More
To discuss data package development in more detail, or for any questions regarding PGS and OFG services and solutions contact email@example.com. We will also be available to discuss this project at the EAGE in Madrid from 6-9 June.
Contact a PGS expert
Please contact a member of our Europe team for more information.